Saturday, March 22, 2014

XMLRPC URL Error

 


 


XMLRPC URL WordPress


 


 


What is an XMLRPC URL anyway?


And why do I get the “Oops!Unable to post to blog service: Didn’t receive 200 OK from remote server.” error?


 


I have no clue. I don’t know it exactly and I don’t need to know it. The only thing I know is, that you need the XML-RPC URL to be able to post various entries to your WordPress .com blog. For example AudioBlogs or with the neat Social Poster plugin.


 


It took me a while to find out what this is and how I can get WordPress XML-RPC URL but finally I managed to figure it out. The solution is as easy as humanly possible.


 


 


How to enable WordPress XMLRPC URL?


 


Are you running WordPress 3.5 or higher? (you should). If the answer is YES, then XMLRPC URL is enabled by default. Just follow my next steps.


 


 


How to get XMLRPC URL for WordPress?


 


Whenever your programs or plugins ask you for your WordPress XMLRPC URL, in order to post various stuff on your behalf automatically, you simply enter you WordPress.com Blog address and add /xmlrpc.php at the end.


 


Example:


I have a plugin that needs the WordPress XMLRPC URL, so it can automatically post excerpts from my real blog on the free WP blog. My WordPress Blog Address is http://nickcnobles.wordpress.com


 


Now I need to add /xmlrpc.php at the end of my URL and it should work. In my case I enter:


 


http://nickcnobles.wordpress.com/xmlrpc.php


 


XMLRPC-URL-wordpress


 


Working!



This is the fix for: “Oops! Unable to post to blog service: Didn’t receive 200 OK from remote server.”


 


 


How to enable XML-RPC URL for HootSuite?


 


Same game. XML-RPC URL for HootSuite is enabled by default. Simply insert http://nickcnobles.wordpress.com/xmlrpc.php


when asked for your XMLRPC URL. Just enter this exact address if your blog is called http://nickcnobles.wordpress.com which is highly unlikely though. Insert your own blog name and get started connecting your HootSuite account to WordPress


 


setup_wlw2011_09


 


What to do when I still get an XMLRPC URL error?


 


Here is something I found online that might help you:



So after a long email conversation back and forth it seems for us the issue is network related. Some where down the line before you get to WP's servers provided by provider Peer 1 the connection gets refused.

If you do a tracert from the server in question or from the client (depending on who can't reach WP), you'll notice that the ip address changes about 3 times (do the tracert more than once), this is what I believe is WP's load balancing cluster (nginx).

I found two of the three IP addresses reject my incoming request, but the third will let me in and post via xmlrpc, making it like Russian roulette. And of course if you get the two addresses that reject, you have to wait until the DNS lookup expires to try again (from your browser).

What I did to patch it so to speak was use our host lookup file in Ubuntu (server edition) and route our blog to the one address that works. Although this kinda duct tapes the service together, it will work.

Unfortunately for a lot of bloggers, you may be using a shared hosting plan, which will not give you access via SSH to change the hosts file. You might have to contact your help desk to see if they can fix the issue for you.

 



XMLRPC URL Error

No comments:

Post a Comment